Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sweet Memories

            The songbook sitting on my piano was pulled out tonight because on the way home from work I was listening to some Christmas music and heard an arrangement of "Away in a Manger." You may think that's a fairly benign, underwhelming Christmas carol, but it certainly isn't for me.
            I pulled out that particular songbook because it was the Christmas music I learned to play on the piano back in junior high. I remember being excited that it had an arrangement of "Away in a Manger" in it, and in my mind that made the song more "grown up." Admittedly, it is a juvenille song, but that's just it. Even though I was barely a teenager, I already knew the importance of sweet, sweet memories. And that [grown up] arrangement of "Away in a Manger" allowed to me to go back to my earlier childhood without seeming like a little kid (early teens are always worried about their image, right?).
            So listening to the song in the car the other night created memories inside of memories. I remember learning to play that song in junior high and thinking back on when my sister and I were younger. Come Christmas time, we would drag out the Christmas carol songbooks at our grandparents' house. I remember us coaxing our Memaw away from her post in the kitchen (she was the world's best cook) and into the living room to sing along with us. And our favorite song? "Away in a Manger." We would all sing, and even though I couldn’t even pick out the melody on the piano at the time, I would sit and pretend to play.  
            So tonight I sat at my piano and played that song. The arrangement isn't the best and even though it's not difficult, I was a little rusty. But the memories were sweet.
            Yes, it isn't yet Thanksgiving. Christmas music is the one part of Christmas I do let sneak in before Thanksgiving festivities are complete. And I am glad I do. Because the Christmas music I listened to and played tonight made me so thankful for the memories I have. For the family I have. For the faith I have. Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head.

The stars in the sky looked down where he lay,
The little Lord Jesus asleep in the hay.

The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes,
But little Lord Jesus no crying he makes.

I love Thee, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle til morning in nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.

Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And take us to heaven, to live with Thee there.

No comments:

Post a Comment