Tuesday, January 15, 2013

On the weather

The weather in Mississippi just can't seem to make up its mind lately. With 40 degree swings in high temps, it's hard to tell what season it is. But the cold and rain the last few days have been wonderful.

I know; you think I'm crazy for saying such a thing, but let me explain. Don't get me wrong. Warmer, sunny weather is great too. The thing about the weather of the spring and summer though is that you want to get out--to the park, to the pool, to the lake, to the beach. You want to picnic, camp, travel. But when the cool and (occasionally in MS) the cold arrive with blustery, wet days, where do you want to be?

Home.

You see, I love layering up and getting out in the cold, wet weather, but if I am going to be completely honest I love coming home and getting out of that weather even more.

When it's cold and wet outside, home is your refuge. Home is warmth. Home is a cozy chair by the fireplace. Home is a mug full of hot chocolate or good coffee. Home is picking up that book you've abandoned more than once but insist on finishing (one day). Home is enjoying a hearty meal. Home is holding the ones you love a little bit closer.

So maybe what I really love isn't so much the cold, wet weather; it's home.

But, still, I do love the weather, and hopefully, you appreciate it a little more now too.

Stay dry. Stay warm. Stay close to those you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment